Professor Mohammad Sajjad Alam (2010)
Name Mohammad Sajjad Alam
Dated Feb 23rd 2010
Address Physics Department
University at Albany
Albany, NY 12222
Web Address http://www.ahepl.org
Phone (518)-442-4535/4547, (Office/Lab), 371-6434 (Residence)
(518) 867-5712 (cell)
Specialization Experimental Particle Physics
Beowulf Cluster Class of Supercomputers
Science and Religion
Immigration Status Naturalized American citizen
Marital Status Married with two children
Employment History University at Albany:
Chair of Department of Physics (Sep.03 Aug. 06)
University at Albany: Full Prof. (June 95 present)
University at Albany: Assoc. Prof. (Sept.88 June 95)
University at Albany: Assist. Prof. (Sept.84 Aug.88)
Vanderbilt University: Assist. Prof. (Sept.81 Aug.84)
Vanderbilt University: Res. Assist. Prof. (Sept.79 Aug.81)
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center:
Research Assoc. (Aug.75 July79)
Vanderbilt Univ.: Research Assoc. (Aug.74 July 75)
Indiana Univ.: Research Assist. (Aug.71 June 74)
Dacca Univ.: Junior Lecturer (Sept.69 Aug.70)
Earned Degrees Ph.D.: Experimental Particle Physics
Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana
Completed 1975: G.P.A. 3.8/4.0
M.Sc.: Theoretical Nuclear Physics
Dhaka University, Bangladesh
Completed 1970: First Class, Second in College of Science
B.Sc.: Honors (Physics with Chemistry & Mathematics)
Completed 1968: First Class, Second in Department of Physics
Awards/Honors 1970 Dhaka University, E. Pakistan
Overseas Merit Scholarship awarded to top three in Science Faculty
1993 U. at Albany Excellence in Research Award
(Two Awarded bi-annually)
2000 Abdus Salaam Award for Achievements in Science
Pakistan League of America, New York
2002 Elected Fellow Islamic World Academy of Sciences
2003 Elected Member Pakistan Academy of Sciences
2006 Officially inducted into the Islamic World Academy of Sciences
Principle Investigator CLEO Experiment at CESR (1985-2000)
BaBar Experiment at SLAC (2001--)
ATLAS Experiment at CERN Geneva (1995--)
Grants Received About $ 5.3 million (1987-2006)
From D.O.E. (CLEO), TXNRLC (SSC),
From D.O.E. (ATLAS), University at Albany, NSF
Publications 500 + in Refereed Journals such as
Phy. Rev. Letters, Phy. Rev. D., Phy. Letters, Nucl. Inst. and Methods.
Pub. in Conf. Proc. More than 200
Ph.D. Theses 20 students have completed (Chair/Co-chair) Supervision
4 students being supervised (Chair)
8 students have completed (Member)
M.S. Theses 6 students have completed.
Talks and Lectures More than 80 talks at conferences, colleges, Invited or Contributed
1981-2001 Editorial Novel Results in Particle Physics,
Co-editor with R.S. Panvini and S. Csorna
AIP Conf. Proceedings No. 93, 1982.
2003-2007 Physics Department PASCAL Conference Organized by Graduate
Students with Professor Alam as Faculty Mentor.
TEACHING PHY104 Physics for Humanists (2006--)
PHY105 General Physics for Health Sciences (1992-94)
PHY140 General Physics for Sciences (2000-03)
PHY353/553 From Microcomputers to Supercomputers (1985--)
PHY454/554 Principles of Microcomputer Interfacing (1985--)
PHY415/5i5 Physics of Radiation Therapy (2009--)
1972-1974 SLAC E-82 Searches for Exotic Associated with
Mesons Using a Fast Forward Neutron Trigger with the 15
Rapid Cycling Bubble Chamber
1974-75 SLAC E-103 Search for Exotic
Mesons Using a Fast Forward Proton Trigger with the SLAC
1976-79 MARK II at SPEAR studying collisions.
Focus on charm physics.
1979-2000 CLEO, CLEO 1.5, CLEO II Studying collisions at CESR.
Focus on charm and beauty physics.
1992-1993 GEM detector prop. for the SSC.
1993-2000 CLEO II Upgrade. Particle Identification System
1995-present Join ATLAS detector pixel group at the Large Hadron Collider, CERN
1998-2000 Nominal member of BTeV at FNAL
2000-present Joined BaBar Collaboration
1972-74 Assemble and maintain optical spark chambers,
fast logic for SLAC exp. E-82
1974-75 Maintain and calibrate high pressure Cerenkov threshold
counter for SLAC exp. E-103
1976-79 Design, fabricate, assemble TOF counters for MARK II.
1979-84 Assemble dE/dx chambers for CLEO
1985-87 Design, fabricate, and assemble endcap TOF counters for
CLEO II detector at CESR
1992-93 Design, fabricate, and assemble silicon beam telescope for
testing interpolating pad chambers for the GEM central tracker.
1992-94 R and D for Aerogel Cerenkov Contributions threshold
counters for CLEO III
1995-96 Ageing Studies of RICH detector structures exposed to
1996-97 Designs and Fabrication of an Online Calibration System for the CLEO III RICH System.
1997-98 Microprobe Station for Testing ATLAS Pixel Detector
1998-99 Complete Measurement of 600 Flex Circuits for the
CLEO III SVX Detector
1998-99 Setup the Albany Particle Testing and Training Tower,
Remote Control Interactive Learning Tool
1999-2000 ATLAS Pixel Detector Testing Station Software
1979-82 Wrote the first complete version of dE/dx pattern
recognition software with one other graduate student.
1984-86 Ported the CLEO detector physics analysis software
package to Albany.
CLEO-Related: Set up Computer Center with 600 MIPs of CPU
Center power based on VAX 3100, DEC5000/240,
ALPHA 200/100 AXP workstations and
ALPHA3000/700 AXP work stations with 200 GB of HD
Pushed for Ethernet to campus computer, linking Albany with other
Set up a Video-Conferencing Station at Albany QuarkNet
2000-etc. Albany joins the QuarkNet Organization.
First two high school teachers recruited from Guilderland and
Cohoes High School in the Albany school district.
2000-etc Proposal to set up Center of Applied Computation
Proposal and Computational Science based on Beowulf Clusters.
2002 Setup the first Albany Beowulf Cluster called Burraq I
(19 CPU system)
2003 Setup the second Albany Beowulf Cluster called Burraq II
(55 CPU system)
2004 Setup a Three-node Baby Beowulf System called Maryam
for Teaching Students.
2006 Start Setup of an ATLAS Grid Test Bed Cluster
PH.D. THESES SUPERVISED BY PROF. ALAM 2006
The most fun I have had is supervising bright young people for their Ph.D. degrees.
20. Ph.D. thesis of Maqsood Ahmed (Chair Prof. Alam, Prof. Aleem)
2009:Computational Physics: Setting up a Beowulf Cluster
Thesis completed 2009
19. Ph.D. thesis of Alam Saeed (Chair Prof. Alam, Prof. Aleem)
2009:Precision Measurement of Cabibbo-Allowed Decays of
. Joint degree with University of Punjab, Pakistan
Thesis completed in 2009
18. Ph.D. thesis of Bin Pan (Chair Prof. Alam)
2007: Search for Doubly Charmed Strange Baryon
Thesis to be completed in 2007
17. Ph.D. thesis of Rahmi Bula (Chair Prof. Alam)
2006:Observation of the Charmed Strange Baryon
(New Particle Discovery)
Thesis completed by summer of 2006
16. Ph.D. thesis of Shamona Ahmed (Chair Prof. Alam)
2006: Precision Measurements of the Mass, Width, Cross-Section and Momentum Spectrum of the L-Excited
Thesis completed by summer of 2006.
15. Ph.D. thesis of Sama Zain (Chair Prof. Alam)
2006:Precision Measurements of the Mass, Width, Cross-Section
And Momentum Spectrum of the L-Excited
To be submitted for publication.
14. Ph.D. thesis of M. Saleem (Chair Prof. Alam)
2005: Precision Measurements of New Cabibbo-Suppressed
Decays of Charmed Baryon
(New Decay Discovery)
Published in Phy. Rev. D.
13. Ph.D. thesis of Basit Athar (Chair Prof. Alam)
at CESR(New Particle Discovery).
(Phy. Rev. Lett. 86:3730-3734, 2001)
12. Ph.D. thesis of Frank Wappler (Chair Prof. Alam)
2000: Observation of
(New Decay Discovery) (Not published)
11. Ph.D. thesis of Ling Zhi Chao (Chair Prof. Alam)
1999: Observation of
(New Decays Discovery) (not published)
10. Ph.D. thesis of Horst Severini (Chair Prof. Alam)
1997: Observation of
(New Decay Discovery).
(Phy. Rev. Lett. 79: 3599-3603, 1997)
9. Ph.D. thesis of Akhtar Mahmood (Chair Prof. Alam)
1996: Observation of
(New Particle Discovery).
(Phy. Rev. Lett. 82: 492-496, 1999)
1995: Observation of
(New Particle Discovery).
(Phy. Rev. Lett. 75: 4364-4368, 1995)
8. Ph.D. thesis of John ONeill (Chair Prof. Alam)
1994: Observation of Exclusive Decays of the Form
(New Decay Discoveries)
(Phy. Rev. Lett. 79: 3125-3129, 1997)
7. Ph.D. thesis of Dong Chen (Chair Prof. Sun, Member Prof. Alam)
1994: First Measurement of
Magnetic Moment Using Channeling
6. Ph.D. thesis of P.N. Wang (Chair Prof. Sun, Co-Chair Prof. Alam)
1993: Observation of the Charmed Baryon
(New Particle Discovery)
(Phy. Rev. Lett. 71: 3259-3263, 1993)
5. Chair: Ph.D. thesis of M. M. Zoeller (Chair Prof. Alam)
1993: Observation of
(New Decay Discoveries).
(Phy. Rev. Lett. 73: 1472-1476, 1994)
4. Ph.D. thesis of V. Romero (Chair Prof. Alam, Co-Chair Prof. Sun)
1992: Measurement of Strong Interaction Coupling Constant
3. Ph.D. thesis of Wei-chuan Li (Chair Prof. Alam, Co-Chair Prof. Sun)
1990: Observation of B meson decays to
(New Decay Discoveries)
2. Ph.D. thesis of Xin Chou Lou (Chair Prof. Alam, Co-Chair Prof. Sun)
1989: Observation of
(New Decay Discovery).
(Phy. Rev. D45: 752-770, 1992)
1. Ph.D. thesis of V. Tanikella (Chair Prof. Alam, Co-Chair Prof. Sun)
1989: Observation of
collision (New Particle Discovery).
(Phy. Lett. B226, 401-406, 1989)
1989: Observation of the charmed strange Baryon
(New Particle Discovery)(Phy. Rev. Lett. 62: 863-867, 1989)
Independently reported by Prof. J. Yelton of Univ. of Florida
Publications in Refereed Journals
As part of the Mark II collaboration at Stanford University, CLEO collaboration at Cornell University, BaBar collaboration at Stanford University, and the ATLAS collaboration at CERN Geneva, I am a co-author on more than 450 papers in the major refereed journals of physics. But as a tradition, we list only those papers in which we have played a leading role, either as analyst or through supervision of graduate students and post-doctoral fellows. Clearly, I have been the lead author on about 10% of the papers that I have my name on. I claim the following paper as my list of direct publications
43. Ph.D. thesis of Bin Pan: Search for the Doubly-Charmed Baryon
paper draft under preparation.
42. Ph.D. thesis of Samya Zain: Precision measurement of the parameters of the excited charmed
Lambda_c+(2880), paper draft to be submitted to Phy. Rev. D.
41. B. Aubert et. Al., (BaBar Collaboration) Observation of the Excited Charmed Baryon
Phy. Rev. Lett., 97:232001 (2006)
40. B. Aubert et. al., (BaBar Collaboration) Measurement of Lambda_c+ branching fractions of
Cabibbo-suppressed decay modes involving Lamda and Sigm0 , Phy. Rev. D75: 052002 (2007)
39. B. Athar et. al., (CLEO Collaboration), Observation of the
Charmed Baryon at CLEO,
Phy. Rev. Lett., 86: 3730-3734, 2001. (2 citations)
38. S. C. Timm and M.S. Alam, et al., (CLEO Collaboration) New Decay Modes of the
Paper draft, to be sent to Phy. Rev. D.1999. Never published.
37. C. S. Jessop et al., (CLEO Collaboration), Observation of Narrow States Decaying into
, Phy. Rev. Lett. 82: 492, 1999. (18 citations)
36. J. P. Alexander et al., (CLEO Collaboration), Observation of New States Decaying into
, Phy. Rev. Lett. 83: 3390, 1999. (15 citations)
35. Observation of B meson Exclusive Decays into Final States Containing the Charmed Baryon
, by X. Fu et al. (CLEO Collaboration) Phy. Rev. Lett. 79: 3125-3129, 1997. (11 citations)
34. First Observation of the Inclusive B Meson Decay to the Charmed Strange
, by Bary Barish et al. (CLEO Collaboration), Phy. Rev. Lett. 79: 3599-3603,
1997. (6 citations)
33. Observation of New Decay Modes of the Charmed Strange Baryon
by K. W. Edwards, et al (CLEO Collaboration), Phy. Lett. B373: 261-266, 1996. (12 citations)
32. J. Alexander, et al. (CLEO Collaboration) Observation of the Cabibbo suppressed charmed
, Phy. Rev. D53: 1013, 1996. (4 citations)
31. P. Avery et al., (CLEO Collaboration), Observation of a Narrow State Decaying into
Phy. Rev. Lett. 75: 4363, 1995. (48 citations)
30. H. Fenker, et al., Resolution Measurement of an Interpolating Pad Chamber in the 9 GeV/c
beam at BNL, Nuc. Inst. and Methods, A346: 75-94, 1994.
29. G. Crawford et al., Observation of the charmed baryon
and measurement of the
isospin mass splitting of the
, Phy. Rev. Lett. 71: 3259, 1993. (13 citations)
28. P. Avery et al., Study of the decays
Phy. Rev. Lett. 71: 3259, 1993. (27 citations)
27. P. Avery et al., Observation of
Phy. Rev. Lett. B325: 257-262, 1994. (10 citations).
26. M. Procario et al., Observation of B Decays to the Charmed Baryons
Phy. Rev. Lett., 73: 1472, 1994. (10 citations)
25. Y. Kubota, et al., The CLEO-II detector. Nuclear Instrument Methods, A320: 66-
113,1992. (385 citations)
24. G. Crawford, et al., Measurement of baryon production in B meson decay.
Phys.Rev.D45: 752-770,1992. (82 citations)
23. P. Avery et al., (the CLEO Collaboration), Inclusive Production of the Charmed Baryon
from e+e- Annihilations at EQ \R(,s) = 10.55 GeV. Physical Review, D43, 3599 (1991). (53 citations)
22. Observation of
, P. Avery et al., (CLEO Collaboration) Phy. Rev. Lett. 62, 863 (1989).
Production from e+e- Annihilations in the
T. Bowcock et al., (CLEO Collaboration) Phys. Rev. Lett. 62, 1240 (1989). (22 citations)
20. Measurement of The Isospin Mass Splitting
, M.S. Alam et al., (CLEO collaboration ),
Phys. Lett. B226, 401 (1989). (29 citations)
19. Evidence for Charmed Baryons in B Meson Decay, M.S. Alam, et al., Phys. Rev. Lett.
59, 22 (1987). (49 citations)
18. Observation of B
FX, P. Haas et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 56, 2781 (1986). (60 citations)
Production from e+e-Annihilations in the
Region, T. Bowcock et al.,
Phy. Rev. Lett. 55, 923, 1985. (35 citations)
16. Decays of the
(3097) to Baryon-Antibaryon Final States, with M.W. Eaton et al.,
Phys. Rev. D29, 804 (1984). (30 citations)
15. Two-body Decay of B Mesons, R. Giles et al., Phys. Rev. 30D, 2279 (1984). (95 citations)
14. Hyperon Production in e+e- Interaction in the Upsilon Region, M. S. Alam et al.,
P.R.L. 53, 24 (1984). (36 citations)
13. Particle Identification by Ionization Measurements: Description of the CLEO dE/dx System,
with R. Ehrlich et al., Nucl. Inst. and Methods 211, 17-45 (1983). (3 citations)
12. Evidence for the F Meson at 1970 MeV, with A. Chen et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 51,
634-638 (1983). (130 citations)
11. Observation of Baryons in B Meson Decay, M.S. Alam et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 51,
1139-1143 (1983). (38 citations)
10. The CLEO Detector, Nucl. Instr. and Methods 211, 47 (1983). (139 citations)
9. Decay of B Mesons into Charged and Neutral Kaons, with A. Brody et al.,
Phys. Rev. Lett. 48, 1070 (1982). (52 citations)
8. A Search for Stable Particles Heavier than the Proton and for Q = -2/3 Quarks Produced
in e+e- Annihilation , with J. Weiss et al., Phys. Lett. 101B, 439 (1981). (30 citations)
7. Observation of Charmed Baryon Production in e+e- Annihilation, with G.S. Abrams et al.,
Phys. Lett. 44, 10 (1980). (144 citations)
6. Forward Low Mass Enhancement in p
Seen in the Reaction
EQ \O(,\S(΄)), with A.E. Kreymer et al., Phys. Rev. D22: 36, 1980.
5. Baryonic Decays of the
(3095), with I. Peruzzi et al.,
Phys. Rev. D17, 2901 (1978). (22 citations)
4. Search for Charge -2 Mesons in the Reaction
p(spec) X--p (forward) at 13.2 GeV/c,
M. S. Alam et al., Phy. Rev. Lett. 40: 1120, 1978. (3 citations)
3. Inclusive Baryon Production in e+e- Annihilation, with M. Piccolo et al.,
Phys. Lett. 39, 1503 (1977). (64 citations)
2. A study of Particle Spectra and Correlations in the Reaction
n(forward) + (2
) at 8.4 GeV/c, M. S. Alam, et al.,
Nuclear Physics, B90, 374 (1975).
1. Search for Backwards-produced Exotic Meson Resonances in 8.4 GeV/c
p Interactions, M. S. Alam, et al., Physics Letters 53B, 207,1974. (5 citations)